Sunday, April 21, 2013

Educating Arlo (in Mexico)

By Amy Kundinger


When it comes to foreign languages, I often heard things like “kids are sponges” … “they’ll be speaking fluent in a matter of weeks” … and I envisioned it being so.  Arlo had different plans.  After a week of school he promptly announced that he did not like Spanish and would not be speaking it.  Knowing that transitions are hard, especially one that is dramatically different than the previous comfort zone, we were ready for challenges with adapting to a new school and language but it's been a bigger process than anticipated. 

We have Arlo in a wonderful San Pancho school that has erupted with enrollment this year.  It is marketed as a Montessori Method of teaching which was incredibly appealing to us.   Previous Spanish knowledge is not required and enrollment fees are based on terms. For example, we paid a pro-rated amount for the length of our four month stay.  Many of the children come for a portion of the year.  It is a bright and cheery little campus that accommodates about 70 children from 3 to 12.  There is a lot of activity based learning in the Palapa – Arlo’s favorites include “movement class,”  “yoga,” “activity time,” and “recess.”  There is a garden that the children maintain.  Materials and resources are simple.  Seemed perfect for broadening Arlo's experiences in a creative and inviting learning environment.   



However, in a matter of days we learned that it was not Montessori Method and more of his day was "sit and listen" lesson time than in the Palapa.  It is in "lesson time" that Arlo really struggles to sit still while, as he puts it, "I just don't get what they're saying." 

Within three weeks Andy and I were asked to come in for a conference.   We were told this was customary for all new students but we could tell it was more about the teachers wanting to talk to us immediately.  The questions we were asked were so strange.  I thought this was unusual but complied with the questions....
... was this (Arlo) a wanted pregnancy (YES!!!)
... was he born early (no,)
... was he fed formula (no,)
... was he a colic baby (yes, a little,)
... did I use drugs during pregnancy (no - kinda shocked...) 
... are you sure (yes, quite sure,)
...  what about drinking, did you drink (no,)
... are you sure (no...well, maybe I had a little before I knew I was pregnant,)  
(teachers nod at each other)  I feel my face burning up.  What the hell is going on here?  I shoot Andy an evil glare telepathically sending out an SOS to jump into the questioning.  He stays quiet ... so the questioning continues.
... did you do anything strange while you were pregnant (no....I'm not sure what you mean,) 
... We'll we are finding that Arlo is not a good listener...he will not sit still...he's kinda (searching for the word in English) .. a punk.

WELL,  AIN'T THIS GREAT?!?

In that moment I felt completed deflated.  A punk?  Is this the same five year old who willingly goes to school everyday where he doesn't understand anything and gives me great big hugs at the gate when I pick him up?  The same little boy who waves to people and says "hola" as we walk around town?  The same little boy who couldn't wait to meet new friends at his new school.   In the milliseconds that passed during the heavy pause I tried to collect my thoughts.   I didn't want to say anything too emotional ... like "Wow, you're the punk for calling my kid a name!" or "I saw you buy tequila at the corner store, and it was the BIG bottle."   I managed to refrain hoping the entire exchange was "lost in translation." 

So what came out was  "Andy and I will talk to Arlo more about sitting still and listening."  Total wussy. 

Feeling bummed about the whole interaction I remember thinking to myself "are we doing the right thing?"  Looking back on it now I can emphatically say YES!  We did do the right thing.  We sought out a new environment for all of us to be challenged in new ways.  Arlo's school was definitely filling this goal.  And doing a mighty fine job. 

Most everything is different.  School hours of operation vary with little or no notice.  We commonly get emails with information that needs action within hours, actually if there is an email that is a bonus.   While the teaching methods, policies and communication part of the school wasn't what Andy thought it would be, the experience has still been a good one.

Arlo has lowered his iron gate against Spanish.  He frequently asks me what words are in Spanish and uses simple phrases like "Queres mas leche, por favor." (I want more milk, please.)  He sings songs in Spanish when he's playing without even realizing he is doing so.

He has made so many wonderful friends and we've met a ton of cool parents.   Nearly all the parents of boys have mentioned similar teacher conference experiences.

We were introduced to Capoeria by friends that said Arlo would probably love it, they were right.  Capoeria is all about movement, partnership, and traditional tribal music.   It has been great way to adapt to a new language by hearing words while seeing the direct application.  Capoeria is in Portuguese!  But to Arlo this made no difference.  Andy and I talk about "listening with your eyes" to help understand by what body motions are telling you, this concept really landed for Arlo in Capoeria.  He sings complete songs in Portuguese that he's learned in association to the movements.
  
Arlo participated in a Capoeria festival.  The professionals work directly with the kids teaching them new moves.  The kids watch the professional's pull off mind-blowing, "Matrix-like" moves choreographed in perfect synchronicity.
   
Each person participating in the festival had "solo" time to show what they had learned to the teachers and crowd.    Arlo got up surrounded by 200 plus people and did his thing.   It looked more like Elaine's dance moves from Seinfeld than Capoeria.  He was having the time of his life.  At first, I panicked and wondered what was he doing up there?!?!?  But the crowd really started to pick up clapping and signing throwing in hoots, hollers and whistles encouraging Arlo on.  In that moment, I fully realized that life is all about being accepted and encouraged by others to be you, as only you can be, rather than being what is expected of you by others.   Arlo was fully accepted here for who he was.  A bright and energetic little boy who loves to move and be around people.  It was nothing short of spiritual.  Tears of total mommy joy ran down my cheeks to be part of such an amazing encouraging experience.   Arlo literally beamed when his belt was put on.  I did too.




Arlo has found this groove in school's routine.  I will catch a glimpse into his classroom window from time to time and see him busy drawing or under the palapa doing yoga. 

His class did a unit on space that ended in "a night under the stars" on the beach.  It was a magical evening.  The kids wore the very cool jet packs they made in class.  Sang songs.  Saw Jupiter in a powerful microscope.   But the hands-down highlight of the evening was releasing paper lanterns just before sunset.  Arlo was captivated.  The kids all raced down the beach as they floated away trying to keep the lantern's path in sight as it shrunk, disappearing into the horizon. 



The school did a science fair where Arlo's class learned about Albert Einstein.  The children each painted Albert's portrait.  Arlo's Einstein portrait had a big head to "give him lots of room for his ideas."  The children all made scientist spectacles and did simple experiments.



 
The school also made cute models out of clay that were put up on display at a special event for parents to come see.   There is a big emphasis on responsibilities (an example of this is kids do their own dishes after lunch.)


He made a thumb print necklace that I will forever cherish ... even more Arlo's comment, "it's on a string mommy so you can wear it around your neck and I'm always close to your heart." 



Whenever it is my turn to make the class lunch (which happens about once a month) Arlo is so excited that it is mom's turn and doesn't mind sharing the bike ride with huge Tupperware bins.

Parents brought in emptied eggs so the kids could decorate the shells and fill them with candy (no plastic eggs here!)



Andy and I just recently did our parent unit.  I decided to our lesson on the Hungry Caterpillar.  Andy read the book in Spanish to the class.  Arlo got to sit right next to him.  Every couple of pages Andy would read, Arlo would proudly announce to whoever would listen "you know, this is my dad!"  Then, we did two cute activities one making a hungry caterpillar taking a bite out of a leaf and one making butterflies to illustrate symmetry.  Lots of pre-cutting and prepping made for a wonderful display of creativity by the kids.  It was an honor to see the children so excited and proud of their completed projects.  Andy and I got a ton of unexpected hugs and a fantastic, full class participation, hug as we were leaving.


As Arlo wraps up his last days at Esquela Del Mundo and Capoeria lessons, I see the positive effects it has had in his creativity, compassion, and adaptability.  It has been an education for all of us and indeed a gift.

2 comments:

  1. Hola Amy, Andy, Arlo and Alden,

    what wonderful experiences you are having. Long gone are the days of boredom when you first arrived. It sounds as though the friends and experiences will last a lifetime. We are all so fortunate to live in a community that so readily reaches out and touches our life.

    It has been super to live this through your eyes and experiences.

    Bill & Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, Andy, Arlo and Alden

    This is an incredible chapter to the amazing Kundinger experience and the pictures bring warm fuzzies to my own heart. Having experienced a small fraction of this happiness is filling my mind with my own memories of "personal growth".

    Visiting you in Mexico wad my first trip out of the country (exclusing Canada). I ventured alone, found the wonderful taxi with the surge of relief as I saw my name on the poster. After stopping at Mega (supermarket) and seeing Amy in the parking lot I knew I was headed in the right direction.

    As a guest in your home and space I too matured in more ways than imagined. Missing my family was frquent because I could see the strong family bond you have. I am certian this has strengthened even more over the last 4 months.

    With out getting too personal in the social world I will end by this:
    I am greatful to have shared a part in your family experience.
    I thank each of you for what I learned about myself, even when you didn't think you were teaching I was learning.
    I am so lucky to have met the true Kundingers
    Lastly, your entire family is 'cool' and thank you for sharing you precious insights through this blog. Its been a real treat.

    Now I challenge you all to embrace the hardships and adaptibility, strength, creativity and courage gained and use it often. Do not fall back into the midwestern ways as the more you drift from those memories and skills the more you can loose the family you have become.

    Xoxo
    Sara Char

    San Pancho in my heart forever.

    ReplyDelete